August 2007 Stated Meeting

Chapel in the Pines Presbyterian Church
Leadership Team Meeting
August 9, 2007


Attending:  Mindy Douglas Adams, Stan Campbell, Harriet McGraw, Wes McGraw, Richard Palmer, Mary Donna Pond, John Walkup, Joan Zollinger, Jack Zollinger

The meeting was called to order by Mindy Douglas Adams at 6:45 p.m.  Wes McGraw gave the opening devotion on the topic of faith.

While waiting for others who might be coming, Mary Donna Pond gave a report of the meeting of Salem Presbytery of July 21, 2007.  The next meeting will be October 23 at a location yet to be announced.

The minutes of the July 12 meeting were approved by common consent.  There was no correspondence to share. 

Pastor’s Report.  Mindy said she has been pleased with Sunday worship this summer.  Her family will depart for a five-day vacation in the mountains.  She shared pastoral concerns about her mother.

Finance Report.  Revenues continue ahead of budget while expenses are right on budget.  A motion by Richard Palmer and seconded to open a second money market account and to move approximately $16,000 of reserves into that account was passed unanimously.  Stan asked about the administrative process that communicates the movement of funds to the bookkeeper and was assured that there is a procedure in place.  The Administration Committee will begin planning the 2008 budget at its next meeting, August 21. Committee chairs have been asked to submit their requests.  Following a discussion regarding asking for donations for curriculum resources, the group agreed that budgeted funds should be used for resources and people should be reminded that their pledges make those resources possible.

Administration Committee:  Stan reiterated that the committee’s next task is to develop a proposed 2008 budget.  The goal is to present the proposed budget to the leadership team at the October 11 meeting.

Adult Education:  Wes reported that very few of the questionnaires have been returned. They will be available on Sunday mornings.  The study of John’s gospel has been extended.  When it is complete, we will take up the “Doctrines of the Church” series until Advent classes begin December 2.  On September 2, there will be a time of refreshments and conversation.

Children and Youth Education:  Mindy reported that the committee had a good meeting.  There will be a special blessing of the children and the animals in Fearrington on September 30 at 5:00 p.m.  The event will be widely publicized and it is hoped some interest will be generated by it.  The Youth’s first activity, a Durham Bulls game, was well attended and enjoyed.  They will attend a movie together for their next event.

Evangelism:  Mindy reported that the committee is planning another postcard mailing and may be coming to the leadership team for additional funds.  Cards will be mailed in November announcing a special sermon series for December.  Richard asked what response we make to people who register on our website and suggested that we should implement some kind of a welcoming response to those people.

Fellowship:  September 9 will be a picnic at Talking Trees park featuring a talent show.  In October, a beans-and-rice meal is being planned for World Hunger Day, October 16

Finance:  Jack reported that the committee hopes to put money back in the budget line for an audit.  Our first free audit was good, but without paying for the service, we can not expect timely responses to questions, etc.  Jack also said that Hugh Chapin has asked some good questions about our insurance situation, particularly questions about liability, workers’ compensation, and personal property insurance.  It was agreed that the Administration Committee will oversee an endeavor to inventory all of the church’s property and collect that information for documentation purposes.  Richard suggested that we request a copy of the Presbytery’s policy that covers us so that we will be fully informed on this matter.

Membership:  Harriet reported that we are averaging 2 new visitors/families each week and that many are returning.  She said that we need to be finding ways of getting them involved.  The membership committee will provide a cake for the September 9 picnic to celebrate our new members received that day.  So far, the Parks and the Rickards have stated their intention to join Chapel in the Pines that day.  A new member class will be offered September 16, 23, and 30.  In October, a new confirmation class will begin.

Outreach:  Mindy announced that October 7 will be Guatemala Day.  We will celebrate our missionaries and some of the people from the Siler City Hispanic NCD will join us and may bring members of their band to provide music.  Pat Poret is coordinating the program for that day.  We hope to find someone to coordinate food for a lunch after worship.  Outreach has been working with the Chatham County Department of Social Services to find ways of helping them with specific physical needs.  Last week we purchased a stove at the Habitat Store for a family without a stove.  There are roof and flooring repairs needed as well and we are working to find ways of addressing that need.  The Evergreen food pantry hopes to have a groundbreaking for their new facility in October.  Mindy has also visited with Chatham Together, Family Violence and Rape Crisis, CORA, and the Haw River Mediation Group.  We will have another Habitat work day in Siler City August 25.  John reported that this will likely be our last workday in Siler City as new projects are planned for Pittsboro now.

Personnel:  Annual reviews for Nana Morelli and Jeremy Nabors are underway and will be completed in August.  Mary Donna asked anyone with personnel-related comments to submit those to Marcia Ladd.  The Personnel Committee is requesting a 10% overall budget increase for 2008 to address the need for additional hours for some staff members and salary increases.  John stated that although we are paying Jeremy for 10 hours, he is actually spending closer to 12 hours each week on our music program.  John further hopes that Jeremy can begin to oversee something for the children which will add additional hours to his week.  John asked the committee to be prepared to address this need soon.

Property:  Joan reported that the first part of the land survey has arrived.  The lawyer is finalizing the paperwork for the purchase agreement.  Unfortunately there has been a delay in the sale of the Presbytery’s land in Greensboro.  The Property Committee will meet again August 28 at 9:00 a.m. to develop parameters for leadership of building planning.  The application for the next three months at North Chatham School has been submitted.  Given recent problems with the space at the school (floor cleaning, failure to open on time), the need is great to press toward the purchase of the land and plans for our own building.

Social Justice:  no report

Stewardship:  Stan reported that Richard Palmer will join Keith Glidewell and Stan on the committee this fall.  They will begin meeting with Mindy soon to make plans for the drive for 2008 pledges.  The campaign will be similar to the drive for 2007 pledges and members will have an opportunity to pledge for both the operating budget and for the building fund.

Worship:  John reiterated his comments about Jeremy and the need for additional compensation now as well as the potential to increase hours in the future.  He asked if a procedure is in place for acknowledging donations of Bibles and hymnals and Mindy assured him a procedure is in the works.  The choir will begin rehearsing at Christ United Methodist Church in Southern Village on Tuesday nights starting August 28.  He suggested that we need to develop a contingency plan for the possibility that the school might be unavailable to us.  New set-up directions have been written and are posted in the multipurpose room at the school.  He invited everyone to begin thinking about going to Montreat for the music and worship conference next year.

Old Business
•    Grant applications for funds for the food pantry and for motion-sensitive lights for the school have been submitted.  The environmental grant of $500 will be matched by a member of the congregation if it is awarded to us.
•    The leadership team’s fall retreat is September 7-8.  Directions and details will follow.

New Business
•    There was discussion of a Pastor’s Discretionary Fund offering, perhaps setting aside the open plate offering from specific Sundays to be used for pastoral assistance.
•    Our Annual Report to the General Assembly is due soon

The September meeting will be held during the retreat, so the team will not meet on September 13.  Richard Palmer volunteered to lead the devotion for the September meeting.

Pastoral concerns:  Mindy reported that Marcia Ladd’s foot surgery went well.  There are many concerns on the prayer list sent out with the weekly emails.  Mindy also talked about the Rev. Dorothy Payne, a retired Presbyterian minister in the health center at Galloway Ridge who has no family and few friends.  She invited those who could visit her to do so.

The meeting was closed with prayer at 9:25 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,

Mary Donna Pond

Approved by Common Consent October 11, 2007.